Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Customer Service - What does it mean?


In past three weeks as fate would have it I have needed to contact three different companies in the tri/bike space about some minor issues/problems. I received two amazing responses and one I am not sure what to do or how to categorize, but most would consider, this company's response bad.

I'll start with the not so good . . err bad. Let me first say that I am a huge fan and user of this companies product. However, I'm having some problems with a piece of equipment so I go to this companies very well designed and stylish web site and I find the "Contact Us" form. Explain my problem in a nice way and send in the query. I wait a week and I hear nothing. At about 10 days I send another note through the "Contact Us" form (there is no phone/email info on the site). Another week goes by and nothing. I find this company on Twitter, not trying to out them or be an ass, I send a nice neutral Tweet in their direction about what is the best way to make contact about a customer service issue and how long should I wait for a response. Nothing back. This company is considered a leader in their particular product category. Since I don't know the full side of the story, from there side, I will not name them in this post.

A part broke on one of our Kurt Kinetic indoor trainers (the roller wheel adjustment knob). Go to Kurt Web site and get the Customer Service number. I phone and within 30 sec I have a live person in the CS area on the phone who asks, "How can I help". I explain and she then asks for my address and where she can mail me the part. In less than 2 minutes we are Done! No charge and the part is at my door a week later. Bam!

Have some questions about Speedplay pedals and pedal spindle lengths for my wife's Speedplay pedals. Go to Speedplay's site, find the contact form and submit query. Less than 24 hours later I have a personal eMail back from "Mike" explaining clearly and in detail what my options are. I have some further questions which I fire off in an email and minutes later, "Mike" get's back to me. Another Bam!, problem solved!

Obviously the last two are what I would consider amazing customer service and we would hope this is the way it always ends, but we know that is not the case. Still not quite sure what to make of the first company's response.

What's your most recent Customer Service story - good or bad ( Hopefully we get more good than bad!)?

If you like what you see here, please feel free to share this blog with your preferred sharing app on the buttons below.

6 comments:

Frankie - B said...

Well, my speedplay experience was a little different. I sent them a simple question about certain bolts and one week later the response was to contact my local distributor.
Sigh!

Steve Fleck said...

Frankie,

I am sorry to hear that you did not have the same experience I did. Hopefully when you did contact the distributor they were able to help you.

SF

katty said...

My definition of a good customer service is always treat the customer with the up most respect as you would to another human being the reason why you should do this is because at the end of the day they are the people who help make a company meet two of its primary objective’s these are make a profit and increase the companies market share.
Small Business Answering service

fern said...

Customer service is vital to the success of any business. Despite how good your product or service is, customer service can make you or it can break you. Thanks for sharing.

Outsource Call Center

Unknown said...

I bought a Topeak Joe Blow Pro pump many years ago. So long ago I don't remember, although I would guess at least ten years ago, probably more.

Recently my pump stopped working. This made me sad. I was going to just toss it and get a new one, but at the encouragement of a friend, I first googled for solutions. There was a repair kit available for a low price that I was able to order through LaBicicletta in Toronto. I installed that, but alas it didn't help. I was still sad. LaBicicletta, offered to send it to the manufacturer for me to have them repair it. the pump was sent back to the manufacturer in December. I finally remembered to follow up today. Topeak had sent me a shiny, brand new pump. And threw in a tail light for my bike.

Kudos to Topeak and LaBicicletta.

Steve Fleck said...

BJH,

Thanks for sharing your story.

We need more good news stories like that.

Steve